Money For Old Rope

Top Entertainment Blogs

Thursday, May 18, 2006


To view the full story so far please click here.

Good morning,

There was a question posted yesterday that asked why insurance was a problem when you have congenital heart disease. The answer is that it shouldn't be but it usually is. Congenital heart disease is the number one birth defect and affects 1 in 100 babies born; so you would think that insurance companies would be able to deal with this.

For travel insurance it is simple; they put in a clause saying they will not pay out if it is an existing condition such as congenital heart disease. This rarely bothers me as in Europe we have EHIC cards which means we can get free treatment anywhere in Europe.

Life insurance is a different matter and if you put down that you have a congenital heart defect then they want your entire medical history and in my experience they then pass that around for a couple of months and then decline you. That was my story with Norwich Union who I felt didn't have a clue what they were doing.

I have been given the names of two companies that may insure me by GUCH and I will be checking them out over the coming months but until then I may have to take out a accidental death policy.

If anyone has any advice or anything that worked for them then please give me some feedback by emailing me or commenting on this blog.

Hope the weather is better wherever you are.

3 Comments:

At 1:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about 18 years since I took out insurance policies when we bought our first house, and topped that up about 11 years ago when we bought this house. So I've not had recent experience of buying a policy. I do know that both times I had to go for a medical at a local private hospital. They did accept me for insurance but I had to pay a higher premium. My final premium was £46 a month compared to my then husbands who had to pay £32 for an equivalent amount of insurance. The irony being that he sadly died of cancer in 2003 and the insurance company paid out the death benefit on his insurance. So, in real terms he was actually the riskier person to insure and not me.
It is well worth contacting the insurance companies recommended by GUCH, you can usually find someone to insure you, albeit for a higher premium.
I didn't bother trying to get private medical insurance though, as too much of that was not covering pre-existing conditions, and more than likely it would be the pre-existing condition that would need the medical care.

 
At 2:12 pm, Blogger The Special Zipper said...

Thanks Paul

That is very interesting and something that I had not thought about given CJ is only 3 years old. Looks like we will have to get him a job working for the Government where currently there is good cover .... although I believe even they do have some limited benefit in certain circumstances.

I wonder what realistically what the insurers risk is in comparison to motor vehicle accidents or how do servicemen get covered by the defence force.

After previewing this comment I have just noticed Angela's comment and she pretty much answers that question in another manner ... albeit a sad one.

Good luck with your enquiries and thanks for the response.

www.beatinghearts4kids.blogspot.com

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger The Special Zipper said...

Hi again

Further to my original comments, I was just discussing this issue over dinner with friends and one happened to have working in the underwriting business.

She commented that according to the risk assessment and strict guidelines of the insurance company she worked for at the time, and likely the whole industry, our son would never be able to get a policy.

However her husband, a doctor, commented that if that is the worst thing that happens in his life we are probably doing pretty well. I tend to agree knowing how many more issues relating to heart, speech, feeding and general development we still have to deal with.

Until next time, adios .. trying to come up with a trade from Australia ... hopefully be in touch soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home