Money For Old Rope

Top Entertainment Blogs

Sunday, July 30, 2006


To view the full story so far please click here.

I traded a number of craft scissors for a piece of old rope. I was the first one to trade to get this project going. I hope it will be a huge success. Since then Paul has asked if I will write a short piece for his blog. I am happy to oblige, however, there was a delay as I thought for a theme. Then it struck me, stick with the rope theme. No need to reinvent the wheel.

1. You can throw someone a lifeline, a piece of rope.

2. You can send someone a present, a piece of soap on a rope.

My lifeline was thrown by my Grandfather in 1966.

My Grandfather was a very practical, clever, resourceful gentleman. He was chief engineer for a shipping line in the once great port of Liverpool. When he was told the sad news of my congenital heart defect in 1966 along with the news that there was nothing to be done, he literally threw me a lifeline. “Rubbish”, he said! The heart is only a pump. I can not give up on a pump if we are out in the middle of the ocean, miles from shore. It would have to be fixed. There was never any doubt in his mind that further action must be taken. So, on his next shore leave I was taken to the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, London. I was reviewed at Dr Bonham Carter’s Private Consulting Clinic. A diagnosis was confirmed and a plan of action was agreed. Here I am forty years later, still sailing the seas with my repaired pump. Thanks to my Grandfather (sadly now deceased), my Family and all the wonderful medical professionals.

My piece of soap on a rope is Port Sunlight village

I was born on The Wirral and lived in a beautiful village called Port Sunlight, famous for Lever Brothers, soap makers. Now called Unilever. Hence soap on a rope! If anyone lives in the UK and has not yet visited Port Sunlight, then they ought to visit on a sunny day. It is a model village built by the first Lord Leverhulme, a local lad made good. His parents owned a grocers store in Bolton and he along with his brother bought some marsh land on the Wirral side of the River Mersey and put their plans into action. The boggy land was reclaimed, a soap factory was built and a model village designed by architects was built alongside for his workers. The homes are no longer tied cottages, but many people who live there still has ties to the factory. It is well worth a visit.

1 Comments:

At 12:46 pm, Blogger The Special Zipper said...

I love it ... a great reinforcement of the "don't always accept an answer provided" .. keep asking questions until you get the right answer.

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home